Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Assessment II

When I started this class, I thought it was easy and simple.  I see a question on yammer, I respond to it.  It turned out that those questions are related to the modules and it would have been better to wait until I read the material for that module to respond to the questions on yammer.  Then I contacted Maria and she explained to me where to go to get information about the flow of the class. 
The reason I was confused is that I saw others responding to those questions so that didn't help, the other reason is that I got a "on task" badge from one of the teachers, so I thought for sure I'm doing the right thing. :)
Then I thought to myself, poor students of mine, I hope that they are not clueless in my own class.  I hope that they didn't experience such confusion.  To solve my issue, I contacted the teacher.  This is an advice that I always give my own student.
The other difficulty I had with my group is finding the time that is convenient for all the group members to meet.  This issue is what I have to think about when I design group activities for my online class. Students take online classes thinking that there is no restriction on time for them.  They can do their assignments at the time that is convenient for them be it after mid-night  or before.  However, when it comes to group work, this is when I hear complaints like these: 
1. We can't meet because of schedule conflict.
2. All group members can meet except for one.
3. We seem to do all the work but so and so did nothing.
Since my class is listed as synchronous on the university website, I solve the first issue by giving up class time for the group activity especially if the group have to meet physically together to tape a video or something like that.  So my argument is that the class time is a free time to all the group members so there should be no reason why you would have a schedule conflict.
For the second and third complaint, I solve it by having the group members fill out a evaluation sheet for the group activity and the group members and I assure the students that even though it is a group activity but the grade can be different for each group member if I see fit.
The assessment that I have on these kinds of activities is both formative and summative.  They will have a grade on the grade book, but they will have a descriptive feedback on their work.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Anahid: Isn't it funny that here we are taking a class and we have the same problems that our students come to us to complain about? "I didn't have time..." and so on. It is really difficult for our group to all meet at once because the moment one of us comes out of class, another group member is going in to class.
    I think that all teachers should take classes at the same time that we are teaching. It really reminds us of what it is like to be learning something new--and reminds us of the reality of the amount of work we assign, sometimes. (I am taking an Anatomy and Physiology class right now, as well as teaching, and I try to make sure that my students see me also with my flashcards--to give them some study techniques as well.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Anahid'

    I am in the same group with you in the Classroad, i guess that we all were lost in the beginning in the class, but we all did not give up, we continued to the best of out knowledge.
    You contacted the teacher which was great to clear your confusion and my confusion as well, when i asked you what are you following in this class.
    and you told me what you did and encouraged me to do the work, this was the benefit of working in groups where we all help each other and be acountable for each other.
    I already red the blog when you talked about some problems you face on your online class as a teachers and the complains you hear from the students, and i also red the way you solved the problems is a great way and make a good sense for me.
    In my school i learned that group work is one grade for all the students in the group even if they did not work equally.
    students will start to know each other and they all help each other to finish the work which is a great idea.

    ReplyDelete