Wednesday, April 9, 2014

PLN

As a language teacher, what would be the value of connecting with others in the way educators in the various videos for this section have described?
*What are you already using? or What platform do you think would be best for you and why?
*Based on what you have learned, have you joined any PLNs or discovered any PLNs that you would like to join? Why or why not?


As a language teacher, it is very important to connect with other teachers in the field.  For a while, I have been using gmail with some teacher I know.  With smart phones available anywhere these days, and since I prefer to talk with the person I'm connecting with, I use viber on my phone or Skype.  I actually use Skype more often because it gives me a chance to talk to the person and see him or her at the same time.  I have used the "share screen" feature on Skype to show my desk top and share stuff from my computer with my colleagues to show them how to use something on the computer like how to add a multiple choice test on Moodle.  
I have used google docs with a colleague where we brainstormed ideas to develop the contents of a class and some activities.
Out of what I have learned in class, I joined Pinterest because it was assigned to my group.  I liked it, but I don't think I'll use it for my class.  When exploring it, I was searching for a certain language, among the pictures and links that I saw, there were links that were indecent to me with sexual contents.  I didn't think that they were related to what I was searching for.  As an educator, I wouldn't refer my students to use it for liability reasons.  

2 comments:

  1. Salam Anahid. In our school district, there are safe search filters that prevent inappropriate content appearing in the search results for Google images. Perhaps do not give up on Pinterest altogether - perhaps see if anyone in the tech department of your school can facilitate the safe use of Pinterest with students. Alternatively, in Google Docs, student can search for and access all sorts of images that safe to use. Moreover, their copyright licenses are clearly displayed so that students are aware how they can use these images. Best regards, Belal

    ReplyDelete