Friday, April 4, 2014

Reflection on what I learned from discussion with my group

One of my group members teaches at a high school.  So her teaching is face-to-face.  She posts some assignments online so that the students do them.  She uses ed-moodle for that.  So her teaching is a blended teaching.  The other member of the group teaches online and uses blogs and hangouts and google docs etc...  Her teaching is asynchronous.  I on the other hand teach synchronous classes online where I meet with my students at the class set-time on set days in a virtual class via Centra.  So our methods of teaching is different.  So we discussed these methods to come up with the best one to teach.  We agreed that online teaching is the way go go in this time and age. 

To me a combination of synchronous and asynchronous teaching is ideal for my introductory level language classes because I teach Arabic.  The teacher and the students should meet in a virtual class in this situation so that they hear the sounds of the letters and the way to write them and so that the teacher listens to the students one-on-one to listen to their pronunciation and correct them on the spot.
In the intermediate level Arabic, the students can work by themselves online because by this level, they are able to write and read.  They should be able to do their assignments with less contact hours with the teacher.  Either way, meeting face-to-face physically should not be a must when we can meet online and see and talk to each other.

No comments:

Post a Comment